Monday, October 6, 2008

Mini Pumpkin Vacation

This weekend we went on a mini vacation to find the perfect pumpkin. Last year at this time, Kevin, Sarah and I were on our very first family mini vacation and it was to the same place. While I'm jumping ahead here, Sarah proclaims that we will do this EVERY YEAR because it's so much fun! It's a great family tradition.

"Our" perfect pumpkin patch is located in Lawrence, KS, were Kevin and I lived for 5 years. We really enjoy the town, the wonderful downtown which is vibrant and full of life, the University of Kansas which offers so many cultural and fun possibilities and we have some GREAT friends there!
Our trip takes several hours of driving each way so we get up early, drive, spend the day finding the perfect pumpkin and shopping and visiting with friends, stay at a hotel and then head home on Sunday morning. Here is how the day started:

When we arrived, we headed downtown to our favorite restaurant (Chipotle) where we filled up on awesome burritos! Then we walked around a bit, stopping at a used bookstore where last year Sarah was able to find some Chinese language books -- unfortunately this year there weren't any books that peaked her interest. Then we met up with our friend Dana and headed to the pumpkin patch where there was lots of looking and lots of goofing around!

This was the first time we've left our kitty cat alone for more than a few hours. We hoped he would just curl up and sleep most of the time we were gone, but I don't think that was the case. He wasn't bad, but we think he must have been pretty nervous as we can tell he didn't eat much of anything and we don't think he slept much at all. When we got home, he was so excited and would not let any of us out of his sight. After playing, all he wanted to do was curl up with us and sleep the evening away. Even now, Sarah is at school and Kevin is at work and Romeo won't let me out of his sight -- I'm typing with my hands over him as he's refusing to leave his spot curled up in front of the keyboard.


We eached picked a pumpkin to bring home and Sarah also picked a yellow pumpkin for Romeo. She's going to make kitty ears to put on top and paint a kitty face on it! Can you tell it's kitty love?!?!?!

5 comments:

Jen, Dave, Leah and Daniel said...

You look like you had a lot of fun. I love Pumpkin picking. We will be going in the next few weeks. It will be Daniel's first Halloween. He will be very excited when he sees the candy in his bag :)
Love the photos with Romeo. He looks like the most lovable kitty cat.

Clay said...

YOU GOT PUMPKINS!!! I love pumpkins, but I love pumpkin pie more<3 Right now one of my cats is trying to tipe you a comment with me, and I must say it is driven me crazy. Well Hope you have fun this halloween. Clay B.

Clay said...

Oh yeah! I love Chipotle!!! We have a lot of those here.

Lesa said...

What a fun Family Tradition!! We love going out and picking out the perfect pumpkins! Notice I said "Pumpkins". It is alway hard to come home with just one. ha

Poor kitty... I bet you take him with you next time. grin

Love Chipotle too!! Miss having one here.

Mike and Barb said...

I think it's wonderful how Sarah is embracing the concept of "Family Traditions" - you guys always look like you have a blast together!
Barb