Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cars, Cars, Cars

Sarah has really been enjoying industrial arts class (known as "shop" when I was in school). Right now each student is making a car. This photo was taken a few weeks ago during the "sanding" phase which could be done at home but since then the car has been detailed, primed and painted at school.

As for the color, the teacher had basic colors available (I believe the choices were black, blue, red, white, green and yellow). Sarah wanted pink. The teacher told her there was no pink. So she asked for red and white paint!


Then there is a REAL driving! In Missouri we have a "three tier" system for new drivers. After Driver's Ed this summer Sarah will take her "instruction permit" test (eligible age: 15). She'll have to pass vision, road sign and written tests. The instruction permit allows her to drive only with a parent in the passenger's front seat. She must have this permit for 6 months minimum and have received 40 hours of driving instruction with a parent or certified trainer (including 10 hours of night driving).

The second step is an "intermediate license" available for 16 to 18 year olds who have met the instruction permit requirements. To receive this permit she'll have to pass a driving test (and retake the previous tests if the results are over a year old). With this permit, for the first 6 months she cannot drive with more than one person in the car who is under 19 (unless family). After 6 months, she cannot have more than 3 people in the car who are under 19. Plus, she cannot drive alone between the hours of 1 am and 5 am (unless emergency, etc.).

The last step is the "full drivers license" available at age 18.

To get her started, we took her to a completely empty large parking lot and just let her get a feel for the car. We went over all the controlls, showed her how a 6 foot 4 inch person (Dad!) can "hide" in the car's blind spot and then let her drive a bit. Here she is right before getting behind the wheel!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Hello Debbi,

I'm so glad I came across your blog. I found it on the couple who are in China right now with their new daughter Hannah. I have followed your journey from start to end and that was it, always wondering what ever happen to Kevin, Debbi and Sarah. She sure has changed alot in the past few months and I would love to add your blog to our favs. I thought then and I still do about you both adopting an older child. Sarah looks like she is enjoying her new life, and I have to say I love the kitchen photos of her making cakes and such.
How is she doing with her English?

From Fl,
Sherri

Lesa said...

I'm happy that they have those steps there. I wish they did in Texas, unless it has changed since my 21 year old has taken it.
I don't even want to think of our 5 1/2 year old driving yet!

Mary said...

This post makes me cry....for quite a few reasons. I don't want my kids to grow up!!!! I'm SO happy, though, for you guys and Sarah. What a fantastic family you make!!!